Mr Kaveh Shakib
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
Qualifications: BDS FDSRCPS FDSRCS PhD MBBS MRCS FRCS (OMFS) CCR
Year first qualified: 1993
GMC number: 6076058
Main NHS base: The Royal Free, LondonMaxillofacial & Oral Surgery
Surgical practice covers all aspects of diseases affecting the mouth, jaws, face and neck including:-
Removal of wisdom teeth;
Mouth swellings, cysts;
Lumps on the lips or mouth;
Lumps of the face;
Orthognathic surgery: osteotomy of jaws;
Paediatric oral surgery (removal of teeth) Paediatric facial trauma;
Jaw joint problems, including TMJ arthroscopy
Skin cancer surgery of face and neck;
Salivary gland disease: Lumps or problems with parotid or submandibular glands;
Dental implant surgery and bone augmentation;
Facial trauma: fractured jaw, cheek bones or eye socket;
Facial pain; TMJ dysfunction;
Oral medicine: mouth ulcers, white patches;
Neck lumps, investigation and surgery;
Head & neck micro-vascular reconstruction;
Facial cosmetic surgery
Facial gender reassignment surgery
Training and background
Mr Kaveh Shakib is a highly experienced Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon. He covers all aspects of diseases affecting the mouth, jaws, face and neck. The most common procedures performed by him include removal of impacted wisdom teeth, skin cancer surgery, facial and jaw deformity, salivary gland surgery, facial trauma and facial reconstruction including micro-vascular free flaps. In 2016 he completed a sub specialist TMJ (jaw joint) mini-residency program in USA.
Mr Shakib has treated more than 1000 patients with dental implants, often requiring bone augmentation. He is on the specialist register with General Medical Council (GMC) and the General Dental Council (GDC) as an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.
At Harley Street Maxillofacial Clinic, he is able to provide a one stop clinic, avoiding multiple follow up appointments. This includes ability to take OPG x-rays, CT scans, blood tests and to preform biopsies on the same day if needed.
Continued interest in medical and dental research projects following an academic career recognized with multiple distinctions and awards. Teacher, examiner and mentor of specialist trainees. Presenter at scientific meetings and frequent publications in Scientific Journals. Examiner at the Royal College of Surgeons of England since 2010.
Editor in Chief of British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
Reviewer for other medical publications including the British Medical Journal.
- Editor British Journal Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery 2014
- Post Graduate Examiner Royal College of Surgeon of England 2011
- Honours in Preclinical Sciences, General Medicine & Surgery, Pharmacology & Therapeutics
- UCL Bowater Memorial Prize in Pharmacology & Therapeutics 1993
- UCL Graduate School Travelling Fellowship 1999
- UCL Certificate of Merit in Surgery 2003
- UCL Distinction in Surgery 2003
- RCS – The Frances and Augustus Newman Foundation Research Grant 2000
- International Society of Nephrology – Young researcher Award 2001
- BAOMS – Bursary for Research Achievements 2002 & the Paul Toller Research Prize 2010