Specialist Hand Therapist
Qualifications: HCPC BAHT BAOT
Year first qualified: 1988
GMC number: n/a
Main NHS base: n/aPhysiotherapy treatments
Specialist Hand Therapist in Banbury
An HCPC registered occupational therapist with more than 26 years’ experience working in a variety of clinical settings: as an independent practitioner, in the NHS, community and private practice. I utilise my skills and knowledge within my role as a rehabilitation case manager, as well as continuing an active clinical hand therapy role.
During my career I have gained experience working both with children and adults. I have worked within trauma and orthopaedics; burns and plastics, oncology, HIV/AIDS and specialist centres treating clients with head injuries or clients who have acquired neurological conditions. In addition, I have extensive experience treating clients with upper limb injuries/conditions, peripheral nerve injuries and rheumatological conditions. I have provided detailed assessments, rehabilitation and adaptive equipment including wheelchair provision. I have also worked closely with other authorities/individuals to facilitate the provision of appropriate housing adaptations.
Training and qualifications
• Diploma In Occupational Therapy (1988)
• Diploma in Hand Therapy (2007)
• Proficient at overseeing the rehabilitation of clients, referring to and liaising with all professional groups in the MDT to maximise outcome. I work with clients of all ages with a wide variety of conditions, where needs are often complex and require great attention to detail.
• I work with clients within clinical settings, their homes and their work environments, collaborating with their families and employers to provide individualised rehabilitation programmes designed to maximise their independence and return to function.
• Highly experienced in hand therapy including splinting, wound care, oedema management, scar management, nerve re-education/desensitisation and exercise prescription.
• Skilled at providing tailored and graded rehabilitation programmes including condition related education, pain management, activities of daily living assessment and interventions to facilitate independence at home and at work.
• Skilled in vocational assessment and rehabilitation, providing advice and education for both client and employer/school when planning return to vocational activities.
• Adept at identifying and supporting clients needing psychological support following trauma through arranging bespoke treatment packages with appropriately skilled professionals.
• Identification of appropriate adaptive equipment to facilitate independence both at home and at work.
• Advanced/extended scope practice skills include acupuncture and Kinesio taping as well as some physiotherapy mobilisation techniques.
• Health Care Professions Council (HCPC)
• British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
• British Association of Hand Therapists (BAHT)
• COT SS Work